Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Topic of the Week: Best Call Ever

Here's a great suggestion that came out of our recent salesperson survey. The rep suggested that we start a new topic each week and encourage fellow Crain sales peers to add their "two cents" to the subject in the comments section. Let's help make this idea work.

To add your thoughts, just click on "comments" at the end of this story, type in your thoughts, then check the box "Name/URL" and add your first name to the yellow field. Finally, click on Publish Comments. Comments are moderated so it may take a few minutes for the comment to go live.

This week's topic: What was your best sales call ever?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my many "best calls" happened 8 years ago while I was calling on National Auto Care in Westerville, OH. This account was typically a 6 junior page account for the year and you only dealt with a lower level marketing person. One day while I was waiting in the lobby for my lower level marketing person to greet me I noticed that the President's office was grossly decorated in a Buckeye theme so I peeked my head in his office and said "Go Blue!"

Well Bill then invites me in and we talk about Michigan/OSU football...Bo and Woody, etc. Now he's one of my largest clients with a cycle page program(13-FP4C) and he's looking at our web.

From that day on I only called on him and we now go to Chicago to watch the Cubs play every year.

That was a great call.

Anonymous said...

My best call occurred in the fall of 2006. I had moved over to AutoWeek from Automotive News and was assigned to the Chrysler account. Chrysler had reduced their spending with AutoWeek from $1.2M in 2005 to less than $ 100k in 2006. After numerous calls to the planners on Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep I was able to secure an appointment with Mike Accavitti, the head of marketing for Dodge Motorsports and Street & Racing Technology (SRT). After exchanging a few pleasantries I went to start my presentation. Mike stopped me and said, "I know AutoWeek...I love your magazine...the only question is how much?" We were able to secure 5 pages late in the 4th quarter of 2006 and close to $ 500k worth on business for 2007. Mike continues to be a great supporter of AutoWeek and a very good personal friend.

That was by far my best call ever.