How many contact names do you maintain with ACT? How many changes do you make in those files each month? Are you even using the program? Ask yourself this question: “If I were to send invitations to everyone in my database, how many would be returned?” How many would be undeliverable carrying that big red stamped message: “moved” or “no longer employed here” or how about “deceased?” Remember, a mailing list is only as good as the last time it was updated. If you are not maintaining contact data, you are not doing your job. Think about the number of contacts you have to cover at a client. Now, think about the number of agency folk you touch for that client schedule. For some schedules, it’s not uncommon to have a dozen people involved in the decision given job changes that have evolved over time. If you don’t maintain the contact data it will be impossible to have success in sales. What would be the result of having something come up and all of a sudden, your ACT data would have to be handled by a coworker? Would you be confident that the files are current?
Are you using all the fields of information that are available with ACT? Do you complete the information fields of: Home Address, Spouse Name, School Attended, Birthday, Anniversary, and any number of other fields you could have? Used properly, these fields of info will become a daily reminder to stay in touch with contacts.
I could go on about all the features this program offers that will help make you a better resource for clients, but I’ll save some of those for another column. If you use ACT the way it is intended, your sales focus will become clearer and you will put any competitor at an even greater disadvantage.
You are the best at what you do, and ACT will help you get better. The rest is up to you.
Keep Making the Calls,

Tony
4 comments:
Having worked for Merp, I will never forget him taking one of our un-named reps to task for having mail returned for a client who had passed away TWO years before!! It was a classic Merp moment---you can probably find it on YouTube! Rated PG-35--profanity, threats, not advisable for children under 35!
I'm a huge ACT fan. I had some trouble at first figuring it out but I bought the "ACT for Dummies" book a few years back and it made a huge difference. Now I use ACT to not only manage my client load, but I use it to manage my family!
So I guess my advice is to keep plugging away at it and discover one new thing that it can do everyday and before you know it, you'll be a pro!
Tony, thanks for reminding everyone what a great tool we have here at Crain.
So true...ACT helps me make a lot of money!
Hello from the marketing side of the family!
Your marketing team will absolutely love you when you keep your ACT database current. You score big points with us on this one!
ACT is a marketing team's lifeline to reach your clients and prospective clients with targeted promotional campaigns.
Your marketing team, your partners, are here to help YOU sell. As Merpi always says...we provide the "air cover" for the sales team "on the ground, pounding the pavement." (This may not be word-for-word, but it's pretty darn close)
Your marketing team should be able to go in to ACT at anytime, and without warning, pull a list for a marketing promotion. Our heads spin when we receive returned mail...especially if the same client promotions come back a second time...or a third. Yikes!
So, thank you for keeping your databases current. It helps us help you!
C.
Post a Comment