Monday, March 31, 2008

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Before I start I would like to “weigh-in” on the whole idea of sharing ideas – This is a great idea!! I’ve found over the years that the best sales people are in fact the best thieves when it comes to great selling ideas and techniques. Anyone that thinks they have it completely figured out needs to take another look at how they approach their craft! There is always room for a new idea or two!

A colleague of mine loaned me a book that I highly recommend. "The Go-Giver – A Little Story about a Powerful Business Idea” written by Bob Burg and John David Mann. (It is a very quick read so not to worry…)

I’m proud to say that I’ve been a peddler for 30 years and have managed large and small groups for a long time and I found this book to be a great source of re-illumination. Great sales people are great communicators, able to paint the picture of value and need satisfaction with great skill. Sometimes we do things out of habit and forget the reason why people really buy from us...

I rushed out and bought my own copy and found myself noting passages throughout. I’ve posted a number of them in my office – I’ve coined them “Go-Giver – isms.” Here are a few for you to consider.

**It never hurts to be kind to people.

**Appearances can be deceiving – Truth is, they nearly always are!

**All things being equal – People will do business with people they know, like and trust the most.

**Stop keeping score all the time.

**Focus on the other person's "win."

**Givers attract - It magnetizes you.

**From the Law of Authenticity – No matter what you think you are selling, what you’re really offering is you!

It’s worth the time to read. It will keep you from going through the motions and focus on when and why people buy from you!

Great selling,

Ed from Plastics News, erich@crain.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another source for helping us become better reps is never a bad thing. Good thoughts about a book that I will now put on my buy list. Thanks Ed for bringing to our attention....