We have lots of ideas on what we'd like to share with you, especially after reading all the great comments and ideas in the surveys from the Crain Sales Boot Camp. But, is there something particularly on your mind that we should address right away?
Chuck and Tony
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Just read about the "Boot Camp Blog." This will be a very valuble sales tool for both new
recruits, as well as the seasoned vets. I would like to suggest that sales people fully understand and
be most fluent in discussing their "USP" (unique selling position or proposal) as this is key to selling in any business and what sets most of Crain apart from other publications.
When a buying signal is realized, a good rep should be prepared to educate a prospect without the
need for sales collateral solely on his or her "USP. Also, remember the two reasons why people buy, and that the selling doesn't start until the customer or prospect says "no!" In addition, I have always found positive verbal affirmations to oneself have gone a long way in overcoming any call reluctance or first meeting apprehensions.
Great blog. Very helpful. I want to learn more about selling integrated packages. We have more and more in our bag to offer, how do I organize it most efficiently to get my clients to take advantage of all these new offerings (events, online, webinars, etc.)? Thanks Chuck and Tony.
anonymous:
I love integrated packages and the opportunity to present them to a client. The packages are indeed getting more complex, but that's where I see opportunity to build a closer relationship with the client.
Putting a meaningful package together is determined by the client need and I have always found that asking more questions about the client goal resulted in a more meaningful packages.
Don't be afraid to ask those penetrating questions. The answers will provide you with the outline for putting together the package that will generate the best results for the client. Hope this helps.
Tony
Any ideas on how to "crack" that company that is advertising elsewhere, but won't give you the time of day?
Perplexed:
I share your frustration with this one. One thing that I did with a similar situation was to use the water torture process. That is to say that i sent a note (not an e-mail) every week that provided some information the client would find interesting. Some weeks it would be articles from our publication that reported on their market or their competitors. Other weeks, I would provide some statistical data, or let them know that we would have a presence at an industry event. Anything that would remind them of our commitment to their market is what was sent. If you establish yourself as a resource (not a rep), you will eventually find that they will appreciate you more and be willing to listen to what you have to say.
Try this for at least 3-4 months. Hope this suggestion works for you as it did for me.
Tony
Perplexed:
When I couldn't get into a certain account, I would try to set up an appointment to bring either my publisher or promotion/marketing manager along to play to the ego of the person I wanted to see. You might also want to try "making friends" with the administrative assistant who will eventually get you into the important person with purchasing power. It takes time but it works! Of course, when attending a trade show, go out of your way to see that "key" person and personally ask for an appointment. Above all, keep perservering and you will eventually win.
Chuck
I have a suggestion for a topic, which I feel as being part of a global sales force we could all benefit from: "How to sell where." Taking into consideration that we are talking to all different kinds of cultures and nationalities, giving and getting input or suggestions how to handle certain aspects of the sales process with different people could be useful.
One example could be UK vs Spain or Germany vs US.
Some sub-pointers could be:
- Are people used to work on weekends in a certain country
- Social drink, events; how do people behave
- Are people more comfortable seeing figures rather than examples (i.e.: XLS sheet vs a dummy with their advertising in it)
- In which countries are the big months of holiday
Obviously we would be generalizing a lot and once you get to know your prospect better (and having converted him/her into a client) the relationship changes. But this would be interesting from an initial contact point of view.
All the best,
Christina P.
Business Insurance Europe
Post a Comment