I have always wondered why so many people run around looking for credibility by saying they are something they really are not. But people do it all the time. Being a sales person is a great honor and privilege. Anyone in the business of selling makes any company or organization better by being in the field selling that company's products to other prospects and clients. They make it happen because they bring the money into the till.
A company's sales force can literally make or break an organization if they don't make calls on customers and prospects. They are the movers and shakers who make things happen yet too many managers don't realize how critically important any sales person is to the financial well being of any outfit.They are what is termed "the rainmakers". They, the sales people,are the front line warriors of any company. They have to deal with rejection on a day to day basis. They have to establish solid personal and professional relationships with clients in order to be effective and that takes time and hard work. Being a sales person requires discipline, dedication, perseverance and an ability to adapt to circumstances on a moment's notice. Selling is no place for sissies. It is no place to be if you are a pretender and it isn't the place to be if you fold under pressure.
Selling is for people who have confidence in themselves, who enjoy challenges on a continuing basis and who believe in the products and services they are selling. Selling is for people who are passionate about life, who are optimistic and have plenty of energy and don't shirk from responsibility. Sales people are a special breed who believe in the American dream and believe in themselves. They are fun to be with, they believe in competition and they instinctively know that nothing in life is handed to you. They are risk takers and they are doers and they make it all worthwhile.
So when I hear people say with pride,"I am a sales person," it makes me happy. It is indeed an honor to share your profession.
Attitude is everything!
Chuck
2 comments:
Chuck,
I'm with you the whole way here. Not only are we lucky to be in sales, but we are lucky to be in sales with a management team that FULLY understands how important sales is.
It has always amused me how people dance around the word "sales person". It's nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, if you dig below the surface of most people's aversion to salespeople, you'll find that they really admire those who do it well.
And as a salesperson myself, I REALLY appreciate good sales skills when I am a buyer. I too seldom find one, but when I do, they get my business. And, if they're really good, I'll make sure their boss knows it.
I couldn't agree more, Chuck. And as a publisher who came from the editorial ranks, I consider it the highest compliment when one of our sales people tell me that I'm a strong salesman for our newspaper (even if I could never achieve the day-in/day-out success that they do, or handle the constant rejection, avoidance, etc.). Crain succeeds first by providing the highest level of editorial product, but our publications would never be read and enjoyed by our subscribers if not for the countless hours of hard work by our sales reps.
Post a Comment