Friday, June 13, 2008

Communicate With Your Bosses

Recently I've heard a number of salespeople say they cannot get their bosses to go along with some new programs they have proposed. They say their bosses just don't "get it" and aren't willing to look at new ways of doing things. They also suggest that the new programs they have discussed with their bosses would bring in all kinds of new revenues. They also infer that their bosses are standing in the way of their success and they aren't too subtle about placing the blame.

Well, sales people forever have gripes about their bosses and the management team that runs their magazine and the publishing company they represent. What those sales people don't realize is that the reason they have not been able to get those new programs instituted is because of their own deficiencies in communicating and what I call "inside selling."

Many years ago, I was lucky enough to work for a great sales mentor in the consumer publishing industry. He once told me that some of the best selling I would learn to do as I became more experienced was to be able to communicate my ideas to my bosses in a concise and inviting way. He told me that unless I learned to do that I would not be able to expand my horizons and get those things I needed to be a more effective sales person. He was right! I have never forgotten his words of wisdom.

Every salesperson has to learn how to communicate those things they feel are important to their bosses. More importantly, unless they can articulate and communicate what they want and actually get their bosses to "buy in" to what they want, they will forever be frustrated and eventually become cynical. Unless you have the backing of your bosses and they have confidence in your judgement, you will never really be an effective salesperson. Too many salespeople avoid going to their bosses and presenting their ideas because they have a fear they won't succeed.

Really effective salespeople are risk takers; they also realize that unless they have the confidence of their bosses their careers aren't necessarily going anywhere. So my advice to anyone in the selling business is to learn this one basic ingredient of success. Look at your bosses as allies and team members. Go to them with new ideas and communicate with them always. Bosses have the same needs we all do. They want to do as good a job as they can and they want to be respected. Don't hide from them. Ask for their help and take them on calls so they understand your problems in the field. Then when you want some new program they have a better understanding of where you are coming from.

So don't blame the boss for being blind to your needs. The person you should blame is yourself because you haven't learned to communicate well with the very people who can help you the most. It is as simple as that. Finally, real winners and doers and shakers don't whine, they get things done by communicating with the people they need in their corner to get things done-their bosses.

Make it a great day,



Chuck

No comments: